Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fresh Ideas

Not that many of you know this about me, but I spent my youth dreaming of becoming a fashion designer. I went so far as to apply to the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. I didn’t get in, but I did get to the portfolio stage. Three of my designs are hanging on my bedroom wall. That’s as far as my fame got lol. I decided to come home to Utah (I was living in Pennsylvania), and study acting. Long story short, I eventually traded all my dreams in for motherhood. That may sound harsh, but really, that’s the truth of it. I really lost who I was.

Today was a very productive day in the job I hate. The baby was with her dad, and my 8 was at school, so I pounded out as much work as I possibly could.

Some of you may know I have been tossing around the idea of a farmer’s market this summer and not completely sure of what I would sell if I did. I decided against it, but the very idea has released my pent up creative juices. My sister opened a craft supply store in WI, and so we bat around ideas. She called me towards the end of my day, and got me thinking some more. I decided I wanted to make Tulle tutus, hair bows, aprons, and many other things. Well, I do not have an endless supply of money, and I closed all my credit some time ago, so if I don’t have it I can’t spend it. Anyway, I decided I would start with tulle crap, as I can get very creative, and it is on the cheaper end. So, I went in search of the best tulle deals out there. I decided to buy a giant amount of white and a large amount of black to start. I can dye the white, while it will be time consuming, I won’t be stuck with a ton of stuff I can’t use. Then I started searching for patterns, and ideas, and man did I find them. Most of what I loved is a bit out of my league right now, but I’m a very quick learner, so I will keep sketching the ideas until I am ready to bring them to life. To start I am going to make pettiskirts, tutus, and canopies. I am thinking more toward the tweens with the canopies. So for a reading corner, or a desk, ect…. Then, somehow, I stumbled on a hat. A very pretty hat. Too fancy for Utah, but I don’t think that would stop me. I decided I want to make hats. Apparently, it is becoming a lost art (probably because few people wear them), but they are so creative and fun. I found a hat making (Millinery) course in OR, and perhaps this fall I can figure out a way to go. They have shoe making as well. If you know me, you know I am obsessed with shoes, and making them would be oh so fun!

So clearly I am getting ahead of myself, and my day is from Hell again tomorrow, so I won’t be able to attack this plan with any force. I will place the order for the tulle, and hopefully, by the time it arrives, I will still have zeal…. Ha, ha, humble beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment